Thursday, February 9, 2017

The Adventure of my Xterra Tires

BFG Rugged Trail

I have owned 5 sets of tires on my Xterra so far. The first set was the stock 265/75r60 BFG Rugged Trail all terrain (AT) passenger tire. I honestly don't remember much about them except that I know I wanted something more rugged to go offroad with. I put about 10,000 miles on them before I switched.

I am sure if you wanted a picture I could find one. They a decent tires but not really meant of the rough stuff.

Goodyear Duratracs

My next set was a set of LT265/75r16 C rated Goodyear Duratracs. They were definitely a step up from the rugged trails. However, if you are on the fence on 32s (or 31.5s in this case) vs. 33s, step up to 33s. I can go in more detail on 32s vs. 33s, and maybe I will in another post but the minor MPG, and weight difference is not worth stressing about. Just do it. The Duratracs were great except around 20,000 miles they started to get very loud. This seems to be 32 C issue as I don't hear the complaint from 33 E (LT285/75r16) owners.

LT265/75r16 C rated Goodyear Duratracs
LT265/75r16 C rated Goodyear Duratracs

BFG KM2s

Since I felt I was missing out on some height and traction, I decided to purchase an offroad set of tires. After a bit of convincing myself that I would like skinny tires, I purchased LT255/80r17 E rated BFG KM2s. Now, these tires are not what I would call beefy. They are an oddball size. The look ok. They absolutely 100% work. No issue. Tough as nails. I just couldn't get over how they looked.

LT255/80r17 E rated BFG KM2s
LT255/80r17 E rated BFG KM2s

Ok. You are right. The KM2s don't look so bad in that shot. But look at them next to my current on road set.

Skinny vs. Fat
They just don't don't give it the same vibe. Great tires. I just wasn't digging the skinny. I wasn't overly fond of them on the highway, and I had some balancing issues to boot. I still have them if anyone is thinking about buying an offroad set.

General Grabber AT2s

Now, LT285/75r17 load D General Grabber AT2s are some very nice AT tires. They tend to be priced very well. I have run them offroad and on the road. They have performed well in both. They serve mainly as my street tires. As they have aged their snow performance has lessened. I think that is par for the course. 

General Gabber ATs in the snow
I don't have an exact count of mileage because obviously I switch tries a lot, but I do know that the were purchased in December of 2013.  After 3 good years of use, they are getting close to the wear bar. Since I put on around 18,000+ miles a year, I think they have done pretty well. Especially considering that stock width lifted Xterra's have issues with the outside edge wearing quickly. 

The Grabbers have performed well offroad when I have used them. They aren't the best in thick mud, and when they get filled up, they have issues but so do many other AT tires. My only real complaint about them is they aren't aggressive looking from the side. 

General Grabber ATs in the mud
General Grabber ATs in the mud

Goodyear MTRs

These bad boys are just plain mean. They look great. They aren't loud. I really only use them for the dirt so even though I had them for almost 2 years, they still have a ton of tread. I have beat on them hard. 
LT285/75r16 Load E Goodyear MTR
LT285/75r16 Load E Goodyear MTR

I believe the LT285/75r16 Load E Goodyear MTR run big. They are listed at 33.1" but I am convinced the are more of a 33.5" Here is a shot of them compared to the Grabbers. The General Grabbers are supposed to run big as well. Of course, the Generals have quite a few more miles on them in this picture. 

Goodyear MTRs vs. General Grabber ATs
So far the MTRs are my favorite by a good lead. They look good. They drive nice (although the General Grabbers drive better) and they just keep on taking punishment offroad. I do think they are a bit soft so I have no doubt that the would last as long as the General Grabbers. They are also on the expensive side. It is great being able to have 2 sets of tires. It does get a bit tiresome changing them.



No comments:

Post a Comment